UNITED UTILITY SERVICES
Building and Hiring the Best
United Utility Services is building the best: the best platform for utility installation and management services and expertise, the best infrastructure projects, the best workplace for making a difference and expanding your career horizons.
And, we’re looking for the best people – men and women with superior technical, leadership and interpersonal skills. Our businesses need talented individuals with backgrounds in engineering, utility operations, electrical and mechanical technology, pipeline maintenance, information systems, business analysis and other essential knowledge and skill sets for a career in utility installation, management, and more.
If you’re passionate about your work, our world and building a better future, United Utility Services may be the place for you.
We have a position open in W.A. Chester’s corporate office located in Lanham, MD.
W. A. Chester is the industry-leading electrical contractor for installation, maintenance, and repair of underground high voltage cable transmission and distribution systems. Our clients are the nation’s electric utility companies and independent power producers. We work throughout the United States and Canada and are one of three specialty contractors performing this type of work on a national basis.
The Staff Accountant position will be responsible for ensuring timely revenue recognition and invoicing for time and materials, unit, and fixed-price jobs. Duties will also include various general accounting tasks such as month-end closing, accounts receivable, fixed asset accounting, account reconciliations and other similar tasks.
- Review and understand customer contracts and agreements to ensure proper invoicing in accordance with all applicable terms. Invoicing methodologies include fixed price, time and materials (T&M) and unit pricing.
- Work with Project Managers and customer contacts to ensure timely billings for fixed-price jobs. This includes understanding customer billing and submission requirements, extracting data from relevant systems including but not limited to Timberline and HCSS. Preparation of lien waivers and other similar documents as required by contract. Review and reconciliation of revenue in excess of billings and billings in excess of revenue to ensure timely invoicing and collectability.
- Work with Project Managers and Accounts Payable to ensure timely billing for time and materials and unit contracts. Ensuring billing is completed in accordance with associated contracts including proper mark-up and support documents including but not limited to timesheets, material, and subcontractor invoices, etc. Review and reconcile unbilled accounts receivable to ensure timely billing and collectability of revenue recognized to date.
- Support audits on all T&M contracts.
- Calculate accrued revenue monthly to ensure timely revenue recognition for unbilled accounts.
- Proactively work with customers to resolve any issues prior to payment due date to ensure timely payment and collection of invoices.
- Prepare monthly revenue and gross margin reporting by project.
- Responsible for fixed asset reporting, capitalization and related depreciation using FAS.
- Perform various account reconciliations and journal entries as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong computer and Excel skills.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral.
- Ability to work closely with Project Managers and Customers.
- Strong sense of urgency.
- Firm understanding of general accounting and invoicing required.
- Ability to learn various Accounting and Payroll related software quickly.
- Prior collections experience preferred.
- Prior billing experience (especially time and materials) preferred.
- Prior experience with Sage/Timberline preferred.
- BA/BS in Accounting
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resume including a cover letter to [email protected]
United Utility Services, its affiliates, and/or subsidiary companies are Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employers and consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with state and federal law. More information on eeoc.gov